However, last Friday was not one of those days. It was not pouring down rain, just that aforementioned annoying drizzle, and so rather than driving I was out on my bike grouchily squinting through my foggy glasses...when I decided to turn my attitude around. There isn't anything that I can do about the rain--I live in Oregon, for heaven's sake--and so instead of letting my mood gloom over like the sky, I'll focus on the positive. Maybe someday these will become my first thoughts when I see the drops spatter on the pavement!
Top Ten Things I LOVE (or will eventually learn to) About Riding in the Rain:
- Free moisturizer for my skin as the droplets slowly skim down my cheeks.
- Fewer people out and about overall: cars, bikes, and pedestrians.
- My bike, bags, jacket, and helmet all get a rinse-off.
- I burn more calories, either by shivering in damp clothing, or by sweating inside my rain pants.
- Rainy days mean slightly warmer weather; there's a BIG difference between 37 and 47 degrees.
- It makes me appreciate dry, overcast days, not just sunny, sparkling, cloudless days.
- People gape at me, astounded that I would ride in such "awful" weather which, I'll admit it, makes me feel like a badass.
- I might see a rainbow. Cheesy, I know--I don't care.
- I wipe off my glasses over and over and over again, so they've never been so clean!
- It accustoms my son to say, when I hesitate about pedaling through a shower, things like, "Mommy, it's only water."
Happy wet riding!